A family feast
As you know our Collar of Bacon is a Succulent piece of meat, so It’s only fair that we share some aged old recipes ! The Collar of Bacon takes the crown when is comes the pork. The tender meat breaks easy from the knife to your plate and is a family favorite. Although we boiled our Collar of Bacon in the recipe below, you can also oven cook it – What ever you prefer.
- Collar of Bacon.
- Collar of bacon, soaked in cold water overnight in a cool place
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Cinnamon stick
- large onion, peeled
- Black pepper
- 400 grams of fresh potatoes
- Mix of vegetables
- To boil the bacon, remove the bacon joint from the soaking water and put it into a large, deep pot.
- Make sure to pour in enough water to cover the Collar of Bacon. Covering with a lid, bring it to boil with high heat. Next, reduce the heat to allow it to simmer and cook, for one hour.
- Piercing the meat with a blunt knife to check if it is tender. If’s difficult , allow to cook for another 15 minutes and recheck. Once tender, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Roast potatoes in oven until golden brown and Boil preferred choice of Vegetables.
- For the dumplings, add flour, salt and mustard powder into a wide bowl. Stir in the suet, add parsley and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add some cold water to allow the dough to go stiff. By hand , split the mixture into pieces and roll into neat balls by hand.
- Next add the prepared dumplings to the mix of ingredients, around the Collar, and place the ingredients back into the oven to cook for a further 20-30 minutes. Once cooked the dumplings should be cooked through, puffed and light. The Collar of Bacon will be tender.
- Divide the meal into portions.