Perfect for the summer, these finger licking Smoked Chicken Drumsticks are packed with flavour and have that smokey twist we love so much!
You can prepare this Smokin’ Chicken recipe on the day or in advance as the spiced chicken can be refrigerated overnight and that will add even more flavour to the meat!
- Twelve 120g Carlow Free Range Chicken drumsticks
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of your favourite BBQ rub
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Himalayan pink salt
- 2 cups beechwood chips, soaked in water for 1 hour and drained (follow the instructions on the pack)
- In a medium bowl, stir the brown sugar with the mustard, BBQ rub and jalapeño and season with a good pinch of salt.
- Scrape the mixture into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken drumsticks and turn to coat. Seal the bag, pressing out the air; leave it marinating for a couple of hours in the fridge or refrigerate the chicken overnight.
- Light a grill and oil the grate. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill it over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Wrap the soaked beechwood chips in a double layer of foil and poke holes in the top of the packet. Remove the grill grate. Turn the heat off on half of the grill or rake the coals to one side. Set the wood chip packet directly on the coals or flames and replace the grill grate.
- When the chips are smoking, return the chicken to the grill over indirect heat. Cover the grill and smoke the chicken for about 30 minutes – or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the drumsticks registers 75°C.
- Transfer the smoked chicken to a platter and serve with some salad and a nice glass of your favourite local cider or a Pinot Noir – don’t forget to share your photos & tag us!
For more recipes and tips, check my Butchers Block page!