Smoked Black Pudding with charred onions & Jerusalem artichoke by Darina Allen
We love this Recipe by Darina Allen which was published in the Irish Examiner. A beautiful combination of our Smoked Black Pudding, charred onions and Jerusalem artichokes – making for a delicious meal which serves up to 8 people.
- 4 medium onions, peeled
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 – 8 medium Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed really well
- 200grams Smoked Black Pudding, skin removed and cut into 16 pieces
- 8 sprigs of watercress
- 1 tsp forum chardonnay vinegar or good quality white wine vinegar
- Flaky sea salt and fresh black pepper
For the Apple and Horseradish sauce
- 300ml apple sauce
- 125ml double cream
- 2-3 rounded teaspoon grated fresh horseradish
- Preheat the oven to 250c/ gas mark 9. Halve the onion and brush the cut side with extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and arrange on an approx. 40 x 43cm roasting tray lined with parchment paper.
- Slice artichokes into 7mm rounds and place in a bowl. Drizzle over 1 tablespoon olive oil, season well with salt and pepper and arrange in a single layer around the onions.
- Roast for 30-35minutes until the vegetables are cooked and well coloured. Place the pieces of black pudding in the same bowl, drizzle over 2 teaspoons of olive oil and toss well to coat. Arrange the black pudding over the roasted vegetables and roast for a further 3-4minutes until coloured.
To make the apple and horseradish sauce:
Combine the apple sauce and cream in a small pan, bring to the boil and stir in the horseradish. Place the sprigs of watercress in a bowl and drizzle with the vinegar and 3 teaspoons of extra virgin oil. Toss well to coat.
To serve, divide the dressed watercress between eight plated and arrange half an onion and two pieces of black pudding on each. Scatter with the artichokes and dollop the sauce here and there.
If you liked this Smoked Black Pudding with charred onions & Jerusalem artichoke recipe and would like to see more click here