This is the perfect recipe to enjoy our new addition to the Smokin’ Butcher family, the Great Taste Awards winning Dry Sweet Cured Smoked Collar Bacon.
It’s packed with sweet and smoky flavours and a nice twist on the usual roast dinner using the Dry Sweet Cured Smoked Collar Bacon and Smoked Black Pudding!
Ingredients (Makes 6 Portions)
- 2kg Dry Sweet Cured Smoked Collar Bacon
For the gravy
- 2 Onions peeled & roughly diced
- 2 Carrots peeled & roughly diced
- ½ Leek roughly diced
- 1 bulb of Irish garlic pleaded
- 4tbs Rapeseed oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Ground black pepper to season
For the Smoked Black Pudding Mash
- 1.5 kg Maris Piper potatoes cut into 1 inch dice
- 200g Smoked Black Pudding (1 pack)
- 300ml Single cream
- Salt & pepper to season
- For the roast bacon pure the rapeseed oil in a large, heavy-based pan or casserole, then add the onion, carrot, leek, garlic, ground black pepper and thyme and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the collar bacon on top over the vegetables and cover with greaseproof paper and tin foil, and place in a preheated oven at 140°C for 1 hour, then remove the foil and cook for another 30 minutes.
- For the mash, while the bacon is in the oven place the potatoes in a saucepan filled with cold salted water.
- Bring to the boil and cook for about 25 minutes, or until soft, when the potatoes are done drain the water out then return to the saucepan over a really low heat to dry out.
- Remove the casing from the smoked black pudding and finally chop, then add to the potatoes with the cream and mash well and season.
- For the gravy remove the bacon from the tray and rest for twenty minutes, then blend the juices with the vegetables to make your gravy.
- To serve slice the bacon and serve with the black pudding mash in the centre of your plate, a few slices of bacon on top and pour the gravy over and enjoy!
This collar bacon recipe is already becoming a family favourite in our house and we can’t wait to hear what you think! Share your photos and tag us to be featured!