Are you tired of the same old roast chicken dinner every week? Try this Smokin’ recipe!
Sometimes you need to spice (or smoke) things up to make a good roast chicken into a great roast dinner! And most often than not, a simple twist does it!
- Carlow Free Range Whole chicken – 1.5-2kg (3-4lb)
- Smoked Black Pudding – 100g
- 2 Garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 small Onion finely sliced
- Seasoning – thyme or sage, Himalayan Pink Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel off the smoked black pudding’s casing, slice it and put into a bowl, mash with a fork to break it apart, set it aside
- Mix your onions, garlic, herbs with a drizzle of rapeseed oil in a bowl and add to the mashed smoked black pudding and reserve
- Place your chicken on the trivet in the baking tray and, being careful not to rip the skin, start from the cavity end, using your fingers (start off with a knife to make it easier), separate the skin from the flesh on each side of the breast bone, pushing your hand right in towards the neck end, and down the side separating the skin from the leg. Tip: try not to separate the skin from the middle of the breast bone too much or it could shrink back during roasting
- Gently put some of the smoked black pudding and herb mix under the skin, flattening it by pushing down gently on top of the skin. Make sure you get it down round the thigh and leg too.
- Put any remaining mixture in the cavity and season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil or lid and cook in a preheated oven at 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5 for 20 minutes per lb/450g, plus an extra 20 minutes. Take the lid or foil off the chicken for the final 30 minutes of the cooking time to crisp up the skin.
- Rest for 10 minutes covered lightly with foil before carving.
- Serve with some roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables! And don’t forget to share your photos and tag us!