Organic Chicken Casserole
Another timeless classic from Darina Allen. The recipe can also be tweaked and added to – Replace the Bacon with Chorizo or Merguez Sausage.
- 450g leeks, trimmed.
- 22g streaky bacon
- 1 x 1.25kg organic chicken
- 15g salted butter
- a splash of sunflower oil
- 250ml homemade chicken or water
- 250ml light cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15g freshly chopped flat- leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4
- Cut the white part of the leeks into rounds and wash them well. Cut the ring from the bacon cut into 1 cm cubes.
- Remove the fat from the inside the vent end of the chicken and discard. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Rub the butter over the breast and legs of the chicken and put it breast-side down into a casserole. Allow it to brown over a gentle heat; this can take 5-6 minutes. As soon as the breast is golden, remove from the casserole and set aside. Add the pieces of bacon to the casserole with a splash of oil. Cook the bacon until the fat runs and the bacon is golden, then add the sliced leeks and toss together in the bacon fat. Season with freshly ground pepper, but no salt as the bacon will probably be salty enough. Then replace the chicken on top of the leeks and bacon. Cover the casserole and roast in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes/ 30minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove to a serving dish. Lift out the leeks and bacon with a slotted spoon and put into the center of a hot serving dish.
- Skim the juices of all fat, add the chicken stock and cream, and bring to the boil. Thicken by whisking in a little bit of roux (optional). The sauce should not be too thick, just thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon. Simmer over a low heat while you carve the chicken.
- Carve the chicken into 4-6 helpings, depending on how hungry you all are; everyone should get a portion of white and brown meat. Arrange the leeks and bacon around the chicken. Spoon the hot sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with lots of coarsely chopped parsley and serve.
If you want to see more recipes From Darina Allen, remember we have her Simply Delicious The Classic Collection available in store.
For more timeless classics click here.