Organic Chicken with spice!
It’s Easter and you’re looking to create a wholesome, nutritious meal for the Family. Organic Chicken Jerk will do just that. Our Organic Chickens are free to roam and eat what they desire. Safe with the knowledge that you’re eating the very best of Irish Chicken you can now create this Jerk Chicken that has some added spice!
If you don’t like to much spice – Just go easy on the Jerk.
- Whole Organic chicken from Hugh Maguire’s.
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges.
- 2 red peppers, chopped into neat pieces.
- Lemon, for juices.
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped.
- 400g black beans, drained and prepared.
- 300g cooked rice , to serve
- Herbs and spices for seasoning.
Ingredients of Jerk sauce.
- 1 red onion, chopped into small pieces.
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and prepared.
- 3 green chilies peppers.
- Coriander, stalks cut, and leaves kept.
- Large bundle of thyme.
- 2 limes (save the juiced halves for the chicken)
- 1 table spoon of honey.
- 2 table spoon of rapeseed oil.
- ½ nutmeg , grated.
- 1 teaspoon of ground allspice.
- First make the Jerk sauce. Put all the ingredients for the Jerk sauce in a food processor, add Himalayan salt and blend it to a fine purée, adding a small bit of water if the mixture is not breaking down. Put the Organic Chicken in a large flameproof roasting tin. Pour over the jerk paste and rub all over the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the juices of the lime and cover the tray with tin foil. Chill for 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Then cook the chicken for 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, take the foil away and carefully lift it onto a plate. Pouring any juice from the cavity away. Add onions, peppers and sweet potatoes into the tin, add all to the tray to mix with any residual jerk paste. Place the chicken neatly on top of the vegetables, add the Rapeseed oil. Lower the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and start the roasting again, uncovered. Roast for another 45 mins, Carefully remove the chicken from the tin, place on a large plate and wrap in foil, then leave to rest.
- Put the roasting tin on the hob over warm heat. Stir in the beans, scraping the bottom of the tin to lift off any tasty bits. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, then season. Put the chicken back in the pan and sprinkle coriander leaves. Serve with rice.
- Add Rosemary for added taste. – Optional
Like Chicken Jerk? Check out our Pork Jerk recipe here.