As part of our Smokin’ Christmas Series 2018, today we’re sharing a wonderful turkey recipe with you.
This Turkey crown stuffed with Smoked Black Pudding, apple, mushroom and Slane Whiskey sauce is deliciously festive and a wonderful alternative for your Christmas Dinner.
- 1 Turkey Crown
- 4 Sprigs of Thyme
- 2 tbl Butter
- 4 tbl Rapeseed oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to season
For the filling
- 1 Smoked Black Pudding skin off
- 3 Bramley apples peeled cut into brunoise
- 1 Onion dice
- 1 Fennel finely diced
- hand full of sage chopped
- 4 tbl Butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Mushroom & Slane whiskey sauce
- 3 Shallots finely diced
- 4 Cloves of Garlic crushed
- 500g Chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 50g Dried forest mushroom rehydrated keep mushroom stock for the sauce
- 200 Dry white wine
- 100ml Slane whiskey
- 500ml Chicken stock
- 20g Dijon mustard
- 500ml Double cream
- 50g Butter
- For the filling melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan and add the onions, fennel and sweat for 10 minutes until soft over a medium heat, then add the apple and cook out for a few minutes then remove from the heat and chill, once cool mix the sage, fennel herb and black pudding with the onions and fennel and season and roll into sausage shape pieces ½ inch thick and two inches long.
- Butterfly the turkey by cutting down the centre and making two wing shapes from the left and right sides, you can also ask Hugh’s butchers to do this for you.
- Place the black pudding filling on the breast and fold over the sides making sure that the pudding is nicely tucked in and tight.
- For the sauce melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan and add the shallots, garlic and sliced chestnut mushrooms and cook out for another five minutes, add the whiskey and flame bay then add the wine and reduce, then add the dijon mustard, chicken stock, mushroom stock and cream and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for a 30 minutes.
- To cook season the turkey with salt and pepper then heat the butter, oil and thyme in a large frying pan over a medium heat, when the butter is foaming pour over the turkey breasts, then place in a preheated oven set at 160°C for 90 minutes, basting the turkey with the butter in the roasting pan as you go.
- Remove from the oven and rest for twenty minutes
- To serve slice, pour the sauce over the turkey and serve.
This turkey and smoked black pudding pairs beautifully with the Smoked Duck Salad. We hope you enjoy it and have a Smokin’ Merry Christmas!