Recipe by Exec Chef, Maurice McGeehan.
Set the mood for a festive dinner with this amazing starter smoked duck, with figs, beetroot, pine nuts and smoked white pudding!
To set the mood and start our Smokin’ Christmas Series 2018, we’re sharing this festive and simple Smoked Duck salad that is the perfect starter for your Christmas dinner with the use of our smoked white pudding.
- 1 smoked duck – shredded
- 100g smoked white pudding skin on, sliced
- 8 figs
- 8 beetroots
- 1 pillow bag of rocket or mixed greens
- 50g pine nuts
For the Dressing
- balsamic vinegar
- good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Steam the beetroots for 20 minutes. Peel and slice when cool enough to handle, then set aside.
- Cut the figs into quarters.
- Roast the pine nuts in a pan and leave a side.
- Fry the smoked white pudding in the same frying pan and reserve.
- Whisk the oil, balsamic vinegar and chopped rosemary into a vinaigrette.
- Place beets, figs and rocket in a bowl. Toss gently with 4 tablespoons dressing. Pile onto plates.
- Slice the duck breast into even 1/2 cm slices and place on top of the salad. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with the pine nuts to serve. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Best served with some warm crusty bread and a good glass of red wine.
- Don’t like duck? Try this salad with our Dry Sweet Cured Smoked Collar Bacon.
Check our Turkey Crown with Smoked Black Pudding and Slane Whiskey Sauce for a festive main course.
We hope you enjoy our Smokin’ Christmas Series and don’t forget to share your photos and tag us.