Char Siu Pork
The ‘No Waste Chef’, Maurice Mc Geehan has shared another delicious recipe with us – Char Siu Pork.
Maurice has over 25 years’ experience in kitchens across the world and explores essential ways to minimise food waste and maximise the use of every product that comes into our kitchens, creating more menu options and reducing waste. This Char Siu Pork is exceptional, with no waste, using every ingredient.
● 1.4kg Pork neck
● 15g Salt
For the Char Siu marinade:
● 1 cup dry white wine
● 5 Glove garlic crushed
● ½ cup Water
● 5 tbsp Hoisin sauce
● 10g White pepper ground
● 20g Red yeast rice
● 300g Sweet paprika
● 1tsp Chinese five spice
● 6 Tbsp Honey
● 3 Tbsp Brown sugar
● 2 Tbsp Cornflour, mixed with one cup of water to thicken.
- For the marinade, pour the wine into a pot and set over high heat, then reduce the wine by
- Add in the white pepper, hoisin sauce, red yeast rice, paprika, chinse five spice, garlic
and stir well; add in the water.
- Bring the mixture to boil then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then thicken with
cornflour and water mix.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve. Cool the marinade before using it.
- For the pork, cut the necks in half lengthwise then place them in a plastic container with a lid,
mix the salts and the ¾ of the marinade and infuse the pork, make sure all the meat is
covered with the marinade then cover; leave marinating for 48 hours.
- To roast, pre-heat the oven to 180C, pour a little oil on the bottom of your roasting tray and
place the pork neck on it with a little water to keep the pork moist, then roast for 20
- Remove the pork from the oven, turn it over and baste it with some of the juices from the
tray; reduce the heat to 150C, return the pork to the oven and cook for a further 2 hours
(until pork is tender), basting every 20 minutes or so.
- Remove the pork from the oven and let rest for 20 minutes and slice.Char Siu pork goes well with almost everything. Serve with noodles, rice, steamed bun or even in soup.
For more recipes click here.
To shop online click here.