Beef meatballs in onion stew600g lean beef mince 1 egg 40g breadcrumbs 50g pecorino 1 tbsp marjoram 1 tsp sage 1 tsp rosemary 1 tsp thym Pinch of salt and pepper 1 tbsp rapeseed oil for cooking 500g onions 10g corn starch 30g butter 1 tbsp of rapeseed oil Salt and pepper Fresh water
- Start by preparing the meatballs. In a large bowl, mix together the mince, the egg, the breadcrumbs, the pecorino cheese, the herbs and the seasoning.
- Shape into medium size balls.
- Heat up the oil in a large pan and fry the meatballs on all sides. (I like to place them clockwise so I know in which order to turn them and remove them).
- Slice (or use a food processor) the onions.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add 1 tbsp of oil. Add the onion. Do not let them colour. Add just enough fresh water to the level of the onions.
- Mix the corn starch with 2 tbsp of water and add to the pot. Add salt. Simmer gently with a lid on until tender. Towards the end of the cooking time, add freshly grounded pepper and the meatballs to reheat them.
- Serve with rice or pasta.